What is "addiction"?
Types of addiction
1. Chemical Addiction- (Use of Substances)
This type of addiction involves the use of substances. ‘Addicted substances’ such as alcohol, and opioids, including both heroin as well as prescription pain medication like oxycodone and morphine. Other drugs like:
2. Behavioral Addiction -
This type of addiction involves compulsive behavior that brings Rewards to an individual. This reward is known as a ‘natural reward’ as they do not involve any negative consequences to mental, physical, and social well-being. On contrary, this can harm one’s financial well-being if it is related specifically to ‘shopping.’ Behavior that comes under this addiction is shopping, exercise, sex, TV, or social media. An individual with this sort of addiction engages in compulsive behavior that rewards them. Some of the behavioral addictions are-
- Social media.
Signs & Symptoms of addiction
Myths & Facts about addiction
Causes, Issues and challenges of addiction
Causes of Addiction
There are many potential causes of addiction that have been identified through research & clinical experience. The following are a few typical reasons for addiction:
- Genetics & Family history: According to research, the probability of having an addiction is increased by heredity. The likelihood of having an addiction might be increased by a family history of addiction.
- Environmental Factors: This includes things like exposure to drugs, stress, poverty, and living in a disordered family environment.
- Trauma: History of emotional, physical, or sexual abuse, or neglect.
- Brain Changes: Repeated use of substances can permanently alter brain structures and functions, which can lead to addiction.
- Frequency & duration of substance use: A person is more likely to develop an addiction to a substance the more often they use it.
It is important to understand that addiction is a complex condition often arising from multiple factors. This is why addiction treatment typically involves a multimodal approach that targets these underlying causes.
Some of the common issues faced by persons having an addiction are:
- Physical health problems like heart disease, liver disease, respiratory problems, and infectious diseases.
- Financial and legal problems, such as job loss, bankruptcy, jail, and legal charges.
- Stigma and discrimination, which may lead to social exclusion, and can make it difficult for people to seek help.
- Emotional stress, feeling overwhelmed, and worried about their loved ones.
- Financial problems and job loss, which can happen when trying to support a loved one financially.
- Feelings of guilt or shame can arise from being unable to help their loved one or feeling responsible for their addiction.
Faced by- The person-
- Guilt & Shame
- Developing new coping strategies
- Facing trauma and shame without alcohol or drug,
- Building a new relationship and rearing the old,
- Overcoming relapse
- Finding meaning or purpose in life.
- Other mental health conditions such as depression, anxiety, personality disorders, etc.
- Daily Arguments
- Trust Issues
- Marital Conflict
- Domestic Violence
- Legal Conflicts"
Treatment of addiction
Benefits of Online Counselling for addiction
Some of the benefits of counseling for addiction are:
- Provides a safe and supportive environment for individuals to discuss their addiction and related issues.
- Helps individuals develop coping strategies and tools to manage triggers and prevent relapse.
- Provides a non-judgmental space for individuals to process and work through underlying emotions and trauma that contribute to addiction.
- Helps individuals identify and change negative thought patterns and behaviors that contribute to addiction.
- Provides a space for individuals to develop healthy relationships and build a support system for recovery.
- Can help individuals improve their overall mental health and well-being.
- Can improve family dynamics and relationships by involving family members in the counseling process.
- Provides a sense of accountability and motivation for individuals to stay committed to their recovery goals.
- Can be tailored to an individual's specific needs and preferences to provide personalized support and care.
- Overall, online addiction counseling can be an essential tool in the recovery journey and can help individuals overcome addiction and achieve long-term sobriety.
Best Therapists in India for addiction
Suffering from addiction? Seek online addiction therapy to regain control of your life and lead a better future.