Parenting is nothing less than a superhero job that demands a lot of time, patience, and selfless love. Parents should help their children develop life skills and healthy behaviors and not just supposed to look out for their children. Sometimes it can be overwhelming for the parents and they might be unable to overcome child-related challenges and difficulties, which in turns takes a toll on their mental health.
Common Child-Related Challenges
- Difficulty in paying attention
- Lack of social skills
- Poor academic performance
- Unmanageable sibling rivalry
- Excessive tantrums or stubbornness
- Defiant behavior
- Habits like cheating, lying or stealing
- Aggressive or violent attitude
- Poor eating habits
- Substance abuse
- Addiction to gadgets
Types Of Parenting
1. Authoritarian Parenting
Discipline is frequently associated with authoritarian parents. They have a rigid discipline style, with little room for discussion and a high rate of punishment.
2. Permissive Parenting
Permissive or indulgent parents allow their children to do what they please with little to no supervision. They have more in common with peers than with parents.
3. Uninvolved Parenting
Uninvolved parents give a lot of independence and usually stay out of their way. Some parents may choose to parent in this manner consciously, while others may be less interested in parenting or uncertain of what to do.
4. Authoritative Parenting
Authoritative parents are fair and nurturing, and they have strong, clear standards for their children. Children of this parenting style have a tendency to be self-disciplined and independent thinkers. Children are said to benefit the most from this style.
Major Challenges in parenting
· Personality Factors – Many parents mentioned difficulties relating to one or more of their children's internal characteristics. They discussed traits such as being too easily affected, defiant, hypersensitive, or disorganized. These were problems that the parent believed could not be changed, and they found it most difficult to come up with a particular coping strategy for them.
· Maturity – Several parents stated that dealing with their children's maturation would be one of their biggest challenges. This was mostly discussed in the context of older children (14+) and included topics such as driving, dating, starting a new school, having less parental supervision, and so on.
· Co-parenting – Our single moms with joint custody faced a major challenge in overcoming their ex-husbands' negative influence on their children. In both cases, they felt as if their priorities were not shared and were being undermined by the other parent's laissez-faire attitude.
· Marriage Expectations – For our childless couples, adapting to new roles within the marriage was a significant challenge; however, this problem also affected at least one of our families with children.
· Health – Health and wellness were not a significant concern in most of our households; however, one of the children in our study had an incurable illness that lowered her life expectancy to 35 years. Obviously, this was a big challenge for her parents, and one that they expected to become more difficult as their daughter grew into womanhood.
Common myths of parenthood
• Mothering is intuitive and comes naturally to mothers who are calm, grateful, and confident.
• Childbirth should be cherished and cherished in its entirety.
• Mothers and their babies form an instant bond.
• A mother who expresses her own needs is selfish.
• A good mother makes herself available to her child at all times.
• When it comes to parenting, couples always agree.
How do you know you need counseling/Therapy?
One can find out if the need counseling or therapy by checking the following points:
-You want to enhance bond with your children
-You’re experiencing disturbances which impact your day-to-day activities with your child.
-You’re experiencing disturbances related to your child which impact your overall wellbeing.
-You’re experiencing emotions on the extremes and not able to handle it and not able to del with emotions of your child.
-Having a difficulty in understanding your child’s emotions or in making sense of what is going on around him/her.
-You might feel disconnected from yourself and your children.
Role of counselling & Therapy in Parenting
Therapists who specialize in parenting can help you immensely in developing ways of positive and nurturing parenting. Therapists are professionally skilled in addressing these issues. They can help you in getting skills to get through emotional exploration, cognitive restructuring, and problem solving other various techniques. The client can work along with the therapist to set short term and long term goals to be a supportive parent.
How does TalktoAngel help you in Parenting?
TalktoAngel is an online platform that provides quality therapy and other mental health services online. We have qualified and experienced professionals working with us. Parenting is one of our areas of expertise. We have experts and specialists who have successfully worked previously on cases of positive and effective. It has been proved that online mental health services are as effective as the conventional mode. Furthermore, at TalktoAngel, we put your needs first. We can help you with flexible appointments, personalized and customized intervention plans all at the tip of your fingers.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
How to be a good parent?• Allow children to be self-sufficient by guiding and supporting them rather than forcing them. Good parents understand how important it is for children to be self-sufficient. Getting kids to a point where they can handle matters on their own, whether it's homework, chores, or making friends, is the best thing we can do as parents. • Never be cruel, spiteful, or unkind to your children, and always show them that you love them. We can all get so busy that we forget to show our children how much we care about them. Small gestures, such as writing a note for their lunchbox or sharing personal information with them, will help you strengthen your bond and show your child how much you care every day. • Accept Responsibility for Your Mistakes Good parents recognize that all parents make mistakes from time to time, and they learn from them when teaching their children to accept responsibility for their actions. • Effective Discipline Discipline (rather than punishment) is not only one of the most important lessons you can teach your children, but it's also a way to ensure that she grows up to be a happier person. •Establish a Bond with Your Child Every day, remember to laugh together, spend time together, and connect positively. Good parents spend time doing something fun and communicating with their children, whether it's sitting down to play a fun board game, going for a bike ride, cooking, watching a movie, or simply reading a good book together (or reading various books side-by-side if your child is older). • Communicate and listen Parents frequently spend more time talking to their children than talking with them. Practice paying attention to your children and really listening to them (away from a computer or phone screen). You'll be surprised at how much more connected you feel to your toddler, and you'll probably learn a lot about what they're thinking and feeling.
If you want to improve your relationship with your child, resolve conflicts and strengthen family bond, consulting an online parenting counselor can help.
Is Online Therapy for parenting the need of the hour?
There’s one harsh truth that comes along with being a parent- ‘parenting isn’t easy!’ Chil... Read more.
Online Child Counselling: How to reach out to a child psychologist
For ages, parents have been ignorant towards mental health needs. This can partially be at... Read more.
Take steps for 'Mental' Self-Care: Take Online Counselling for Mental Health
What does self-care mean? Does self-care indicate selfishness and self-indulgence? Does it... Read more.
Free Online Counselling & Therapy : The good and the bad
ree online counselling and therapy should come with some relief as therapy services have a... Read more.
Why is a Healthy Sibling Relationship Important for Your Children's development?
During a child’s development, family dynamics play a major role in their socio-emotional,... Read more.
Online Counselling Support: For Indian Students Returning From Ukraine
Mental Health of both military personnel and civilians faces a long-term impact of war. Wa... Read more.
Career Counselling: Reap the Benefits of Career Guidance
Career counselling helps people to find their right career pathway. Professional counsello... Read more.
#WMHD2022: Make “Mental Health and Wellbeing for All” as a Global Priority
Mental health issues create huge burdens across the globe. Depression alone affects around... Read more.
100% Secure & Confidential
TalktoAngel offers online counselling & online therapy services through its self-curated HIPPA compliant platform, ensuring 100% confidentiality and privacy between the user and therapist.
Qualified & Certified Therapist
With an aim to provide ‘Best Online Counselling in India’ TalktoAngel provides online counselling and online therapy from the Best Therapists in India, Top Psychologists, Couple Counsellors, Relationship Counselors, Best Psychiatrists.
Scientific Behavioural Assessment
Anywhere, Anytime, Any device
Avoid travel, waiting time – access our certified experts for consultation using your computer, tablet or mobile from any location convenient to you.