Personality Disorders are usually
considered to cause distress and impaired functioning in a person's cognitive
and emotional thinking, interpersonal relationships. People living with these
disorders demonstrate behavior which is different from their cultural
expectations and they also find it difficult to have stable healthy social
relationships, may also experience work-life conflicts or feel isolated. In
certain cases, they may develop depression or anxiety.
Signs and Symptoms for Personality Disorder
The signs and symptoms of personality disorders are different in different types. They are given in the form of the following clusters. It is also not necessary that the person exhibits the signs and symptoms of only one disorder but they can mention the symptoms of two at a time also.
The person with this disorder is having odd and abnormal behaviors. paranoid personality disorder, schizoid personality disorder and schizotypal personality disorder falls under this category.
Paranoid personality disorder
- They are suspicions of others
- They have a belief that others may harm them
- They do not find others trustworthy.
- They do not disclose their things to others because they think that the other person may use their information.
- They perceive the non threatening remarks as insults.
- They get angry on insults.
- They hold grudges.
- They think that their partners will deceive them.
Schizoid personality disorder
- There is a lack of social relationships
- They don’t show emotional expression.
- They cannot take pleasure in most activities.
- They cannot pick normal social cues.
- They appear to be cold to others.
- They don’t have interest in sex with the other person.
Schizotypal personality disorder
- They have strange dressing, thinking, beliefs, speech or behaviors.
- They feel that someone is whispering their names of emotional expressions.
- They fa social anxiety.
- They are suspicion of others
- They believe that they influence other people with their thoughts.
The person who falls under this category may be dramatic in nature. they may be overly emotional also. Antisocial personality disorder, borderline personality disorder, histrionic personality disorder and narcissistic personality disorder falls under this category.
Antisocial personality disorder
- They Disregard others' feelings.
- They are lying, stealing etc.
- They have problem with the law.
- They repeat violation of rights.
- They are aggressive or have violent behavior.
- They disregard the safety of others.
- They have impulsivity in their behavior.
- They are irresponsible.
Borderline personality disorder
- They are involved in impulsive behavior.
- They have unstable self image.
- Their relationships are unstable.
- Mood swings due to personal relationships.
- They are suicidal in nature.
- They have a fear that they are alone.
- They have a feeling of emptiness.
- There is frequent display of anger.
- There is a stress related paranoia in them.
Histrionic personality disorder
- They seek attention.
- They are having Excessive emotions; they are dramatic to gain attention.
- They are easily influenced by others.
- Their emotions change rapidly.
- They are excessively concerned about their appearance.
Narcissistic personality disorder
- They think that they are more special than others.
- They have fantasies that they are having power, success and attractiveness.
- They fail to recognize the needs and feelings of other people.
- They exaggerate their achievements or talents in front of other people.
- They expect constant praise from others.
- They are arrogant.
- They think to find advantage from others.
- They are either jealous of other or think that other people are jealous of them.
- They avoid social contacts.
- They are too sensitive to criticism or rejection
- They feel inadequate, inferior or unattractive
- They are shy in social situations
- They have fear of rejection, embarrassment and ridicule
- They avoid work that require interpersonal contact, remain isolated
- They are clingy in behavior
- They have difficulty in starting something new on their own
- They depend too much on others, they fear when left alone, its difficult for them to self care
- They find it difficult to leave abusive relationship, if ends immediately look for another relationship
Obsessive-compulsive personality disorder
- They show perfectionism, if things are not perfect as per them they feel distressed
- They may hoard things or object as they are unable to discard them
- They may be rigid or stubborn and committed to their work excessively
- They are pre occupied with thoughts related to clininess, rules and orderliness
Types of personality disorders
- Paranoid personality disorder
- Schizoid personality disorder
- Schizotypal personality disorder
- Antisocial personality disorder
- Borderline personality disorder
- Histrionic personality disorder
- Narcissistic personality disorder
- Avoidant personality disorder
- Dependent personality disorder
- Obsessive-compulsive personality disorder
Issues and challenges
Person dealing with any personality disorder may face some challenges in his/her life. They may find difficulty in making and maintaining relationships. They may find it difficult to connect with friends, family and other people in general. When it comes to feelings and emotions, they are not expressive or sometimes over expressive. They also find it hard to control their extreme behavior and impulses. Their coping mechanism is not good. Sometimes they don’t even admit they have personality issues, and refuse treatment.
How do you know you need counselling/Therapy?
One can find out if they need counselling or therapy by checking the following points:
-You are experiencing relationship issues
-You want to bring a change, but you’re unable to do so on your own, you might want to seek counseling
-You want to spend most of your time alone and other people’s presence is making you irritated unlike premorbid personality.
-You are involving in excessive clineness activities; you have a habit of hoarding things those are of no use
-Recurrent thoughts are disturbing you a lot .
-You’re experiencing disturbances which impact your day-to-day life like work, social engagement etc.
-You’re experiencing disturbances which impact your overall wellbeing.
-You’re experiencing emotions on the extremes. For example, you’re either too happy or too angry.
-You have a difficult time in understanding your emotions or in making sense of what is going on around you.
-Feeling disconnected from yourself and your loved ones.
How does TalktoAngel Help you?TalktoAngel is an online platform that provides quality therapy and other mental health services online. We have qualified and experienced professionals working with us. Personality disorder is one of our areas of expertise. We have experts and specialists who have successfully worked previously on cases of personality disorders. Studies have proven that online mental health services are as effective as the conventional mode. Furthermore, at TalktoAngel, we put your needs first. Our depression counsellor/therapist help you with flexible appointments, personalized and customized intervention plans all at the tip of your fingers.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q. What are the causes of personality disordersA. Causes of personality disorder include both the genetic and the environmental factors. In some personality disorder there is a long family history for mental illnesses. For example, if a person is having an antisocial personality disorder then it may be related that there is a person in his family who is also having a personality disorder. Similarly if there is a family history of depression then there is a possibility that the person may have borderline personality disorder. There may be tendency of developing the personality disorder because of the inheritance. That does not mean that the person is born with the personality disorder itself. When something interferes with the person and the environment then it may develop into a disorder. These disorders may also develop because of the coping skills which a person is using in the troubled situation.
Consult our experts and seek Online Counselling for Personality Disorder
Dance your way to a Healthier Life: Benefits of Dance Therapy
Dance has been termed as a form of expression, a form of physical activity which bridges t... Read more.
100% Secure & Confidential
TalktoAngel offers online counselling & online therapy services through its self-curated HIPPA compliant platform, ensuring 100% confidentiality and privacy between the user and therapist.
Qualified & Certified Therapist
With an aim to provide ‘Best Online Counselling in India’ TalktoAngel provides online counselling and online therapy from the Best Therapists in India, Top Psychologists, Couple Counsellors, Relationship Counselors, Best Psychiatrists.
Scientific Behavioural Assessment
Anywhere, Anytime, Any device
Avoid travel, waiting time – access our certified experts for consultation using your computer, tablet or mobile from any location convenient to you.