Physical health refers to the optimal well being of the individual wherein there is proper functioning of the person according to which the person is healthy and free from diseases. In todays time the apt meaning of physical health is the ability to do the tasks in day to day life and live comfortably in their body.
Signs and Symptoms
- Sleep disturbance
- Muscle strain
- Weight loss or weight gain
Myths and Facts About Physical Health
Myth: Running is better than walking
This is not true. Walking is more instrumental than running. Walking gives much of the same benefits as running. But in turn not only benefits physically but also is good for mental health.
Myth: Eating fat makes you fat
This is not at all true. Eating fat does not make one fat. Fats are essential for the body but consumption of excess or wrong kind of fat is not good for the body.
Myth: Skinny means healthy
This is not true. Many believe that if they are skinny and then they do not eat much it will be fine. Well this is not the case. If a person is skinny doesn’t mean he or she is healthy. The person could have health concerns like that of the other individuals.
Myth : You need 8 glasses of water a day
This is not true. You need not drink eight glasses of water in a day. There is no scientific evidence that drinking more water can help to yield benefits.
Myth : Addiction is a choice
This is not true. Addiction is not a choice. It is a brain disease. Drugs can bring changes in the mechanism of the brain which can last for a long time.
Effects of poor physical health
Poor physical health can lead to lifestyle diseases. If one does not maintain a good hygiene, proper nutrition, indulges in smoking and other unhealthy habits it can lead to diseases like obesity, diabetes, cancer, high blood pressure etc.
Poor physical health can also affect the persons social well-being. It can result in an unhealthy body which in turn leads to low self-esteem. Low self esteem poses as a barrier to social interaction. Thus, it makes it difficult to build social bonds.
Poor physical health can impact mental health. Poor physical health can increase the risk of the person having mental health problems. 1 in 3 people going through a long-term physical health condition suffer from a mental health problem.
Lifestyle diseases are the diseases associated with people’s lives.Lifestyle diseases are a type of non-communicable diseases which are based on how people lead their life and are linked to the habitual pattern of doing things. There are many lifestyle diseases like that of insomnia, diabetes, blood pressure, hypertension and many more.
Causes of lifestyle diseases
There are a number of causes that lead to lifestyle diseases
- Poor Nutrition - Many people have unhealthy eating habits. The regular intake of junk food, overeating, skipping of meals could lead to the person becoming a prey to lifestyle diseases. Poor nutrition can result in obesity, diabetes, strokes, cancer and other lifestyle disorders.
- Irregular sleep patterns –A number of people nowadays have irregular and poor sleep patterns. Either they sleep for a small duration or they sleep too much. Irregularity in sleep patterns can lead to many lifestyle diseases like that of insomnia, diabetes, depression, increased risk of high blood pressures and many other diseases.
- Chronic stress – Stress has become a common phenomenon that almost every other person witnesses in his day to day life. Long term stress can lead to high activity of stress hormones which can result in depression,anxiety, headache, sleep issues, and other memory issues.
- Smoking – Smoking has an adverse impact on our body. A direct and regular pattern of smoking can lead to diseases like cancer, heart diseases, lung disease etc. Indirect or second-hand smoking can lead to acute respiratory infection, severe asthma, middle ear disease etc.
- Lack of Physical Activity – A lot of people do not indulge in physical activity in their day to day life.They do not exercise and do not actively do theirtasks. Lack of physical activity can result in obesity and other diseases like cardiovascular diseases, cancer, diabetes etc.
Strategies for good physical health
There are many strategies to ensure and maintain a good physical health. These are as follows:
- Regular exercise – Do physical activity on a routine basis. Exercise regularly for at least 30 minutes in order to keep your body active. Exercising daily can help to maintain a healthy body and prevents various lifestyle diseases like that of obesity, diabetes etc.
- Eating a balanced diet – Eat healthy and nutritious foods. Consume a balanced diet with a proper intake of carbohydrate, fats, protein, vitamins, minerals and other nutrients in an adequate quantity. Avoid junk food. Eating a proper and healthy meal can help to prevent lifestyle diseases and help the person to remain fit.
- Get a proper sleep – Sleep for an optimum duration of time. Taking a sleep for an effective amount of time can help the body to relax and restore itself. Sleep for at least 7 to 8 hours. Taking a good sleep can also prevent insomnia and other diseases.
- Do not smoke – Smoking has adverse impacts on our physical wellbeing. It can lead to life threatening diseases like cancer, heart disease etc. One should not indulge in smoking in order to maintain a good health.
- Maintain a good hygiene – Keep yourself and your surroundings clean. One should wash their hands before and after a meal.
How do you know that you need counselling?
- You experience a sudden weight loss or weight gain
- You feel dizzy and tired during the day
- You experience body aches and muscle strain in some parts of your body
- You have difficulty in sleeping and undergo sleep disturbances
- You experience highs and lows in blood pressure frequently
Role of counselling
Counselling helps to provide an insight into physical health issues by illuminating challenges, risks, strengths, and resources. Counsellors assist the clients on a routinely basis with reducing harmful behaviours like smoking, in recognizing barriers to change, and determining strategies to achieve healthy lifestyles, such as behaviour modification to modify eating habits. Psychological interventions are effective in alleviating distress.
How does talk to angel help in overcoming physical health issues
Talktoangel is an online platform that provides quality therapy and other mental health services online. We have qualified and experienced professionals working with us. Physical health is one of our areas of expertise. We have experts and specialists who have successfully worked previously on physical health issues primarily being lifestyle diseases. Studies have proven that online mental health services are as effective as in the conventional mode. Furthermore, at talktoangel we put your needs first. Our therapists counselors help you with flexible appointments, personalized and customized intervention plans all at the tip of your fingers.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Why does one need to have a good physical health?One needs to have a good physical health as poor health can lead to stress and impair productivity in our day to day life. Good physical health is essential for effective functioning in life.
What does one need to do to maintain physical health?In order to maintain physical health one needs to exercise regularly, eat a balanced diet, maintain a healthy weight and get a good sleep.
What can be the effect of imbalance in work and personal life?Imbalance in work and personal life can have dire consequences. Often the people have work pressure this can lead them to avoid physical exercise, eat junk food instead of homemade food and disrupted sleep
If you’re suffering from a physical / mental condition, speaking with our therapist can help you take care of your wellbeing.
4 reason why you need to chill about your ticking biological clock
Women since the beginning of mankind have been pressurized to give birth within the right... Read more.
Free India- Mentally and Physically Fit India - A Pledge
15th August 2020 marks the 74th anniversary of India’s freedom. While we seek to create an... Read more.
Are you suffering from workplace stress? Find out what the signs suggest
It is a known fact that over the years, our work lives have continued to grow as more stre... Read more.
Online Therapy for Self-Improvement: All you need to know!
The term “Self- Improvement” has a different meaning for every person. It includes various... Read more.
Online Child Counselling: How to reach out to a child psychologist
For ages, parents have been ignorant towards mental health needs. This can partially be at... Read more.
Free Online Counselling & Therapy : The good and the bad
ree online counselling and therapy should come with some relief as therapy services have a... Read more.
Why is a Healthy Sibling Relationship Important for Your Children's development?
During a child’s development, family dynamics play a major role in their socio-emotional,... Read more.
Looking for Best Employee Assistance Program (EAP) Provider: Your Search stops at TalktoAngel
Employee Assistance Programs provide employees with necessary guidance and resources for t... Read more.
Online Counselling Support: For Indian Students Returning From Ukraine
Mental Health of both military personnel and civilians faces a long-term impact of war. Wa... Read more.
This Summer Swear By These Five Keys for a Happier and Healthier Life
We often fail to keep up with our health goals. We think of health and wellbeing as respon... Read more.
100% Secure & Confidential
TalktoAngel offers online counselling & online therapy services through its self-curated HIPPA compliant platform, ensuring 100% confidentiality and privacy between the user and therapist.
Qualified & Certified Therapist
With an aim to provide ‘Best Online Counselling in India’ TalktoAngel provides online counselling and online therapy from the Best Therapists in India, Top Psychologists, Couple Counsellors, Relationship Counselors, Best Psychiatrists.
Scientific Behavioural Assessment
Anywhere, Anytime, Any device
Avoid travel, waiting time – access our certified experts for consultation using your computer, tablet or mobile from any location convenient to you.