January 09 2023 TalktoAngel 0 comments 232 Views
Bereavement counselling or grief & loss counseling is a type of specialized counselling that aims to support people who have lost a loved one. This counselling helps them work through their grief and learn coping strategies to help them when they are alone. Bereavement counselling can help people of any race, creed, or age who are experiencing overwhelming loss or whose life is being negatively impacted by their grief. Bereavement counselling can help in better understanding the grieving process and resolving issues or feelings that are preventing it from progressing. The goal of bereavement counselling is to help you regain your feeling of belonging, cope with life's daily stresses, and find the strength to move forward. You can retain the memory and the positive impact the person had on your life.
- Intense sorrow, pain, and rumination over the loss of the loved one or loss event.
- Focus on little else but the loved one’s death or loss event
- Extreme focus on or excessive avoidance of reminders of the loved one or loss event.
- Intense and persistent longing or pining for the deceased or loss event.
- Problems accepting the death or loss event.
- Numbness or detachment
- Bitterness about the loss event
- Feeling that life holds no meaning or purpose.
- Lack of trust in others
- Inability to enjoy life or think back on positive experiences with the loved one or before the loss event
You can know more about how to overcome grief during a pandemic, and also easy and effective ways to overcome grief at TalktoAngel, India’s No. 1 Bereavement Counselling Platform.
Techniques & Online Therapies for Bereavement Counselling
1. Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT) - Acceptance and commitment therapy (ACT) is a type of cognitive behavioral therapy based on the idea that ineffective verbal strategies for controlling one's thoughts and feelings lead to problem behaviors. Acceptance and Commitment Therapy aims to reduce negative thought patterns and emotional dwell time. Acceptance and Commitment Therapy uses a variety of techniques, such as behavioral analysis, mindfulness exercises, cognitive diffusion, acceptance and commitment methods, and so on. Acceptance therapy is particularly beneficial for people suffering from psychological disorders such as anxiety, depression, grief and loss, daily stress, and substance abuse. It is ineffective for those suffering from more serious physical conditions, such as brain injuries or neurological disorders. Chronic pain management can benefit from ACT on occasion. The goal of ACT is to live a full and meaningful life while accepting the inevitability of pain.
3. Art therapy – As an art therapist helps people express feelings they are unable to express verbally. Art therapy is used for the treatment of mental illnesses &disorders such as PTSD, depression, grief& loss, dementia, anxiety, and depression. Art therapy aims to improve our mental health. It is the most accurate and complete representation of your emotions, behavior, and thoughts. It is used to diagnose and treat anxiety, depression, and other mental and emotional problems; physical, cognitive, and neurological problems; and psychosocial difficulties related to medical illness in children, adolescents, adults, groups, and families. The emphasis is on the process of making art rather than the art itself. The goal is determined by the shapes, colors, drawings, and so on.
- Art is used for catharsis
- An emotional journey that leads to self-actualization and discovery
- The person is consciously or unconsciously expressing themselves through their art
4. STORYTELLING TECHNIQUES - many traumatized people and people become tired of telling their stories; they don't want to talk about the horrible things that happened, so they use. These techniques are meant to help them express themselves; Tasks for Exploration, Relationship Building, Inner emotional expression, One's self-perception, Personal Relationships, and An individual's place in the world.
For more information, contact the Best Psychologist in India and take Online Counselling at TalktoAngel, Asia's leading mental health and well-being platform, which can help you professionally to overcome bereavement due to demise or loss by the best “Clinical Psychologists near me”.
Contributed by: Dr (Prof) R K Suri & Ms. Swati Yadav
Leave a Comment:
“Anxiety is a thin stream of fear trickling through the mind. If encouraged, it cuts a channel into which all other thoughts are drained.” - Arthur Somers Roche
“You say you’re ‘depressed’ – all I see is resilience. You are allowed to feel messed up and inside out. It doesn’t mean you’re defective – it just means you’re human.” - David Mitchell, Cloud Atlas
“My anxiety doesn't come from thinking about the future but from wanting to control it.” - Hugh Prather
“Depression is your body saying, ‘I don’t want to be this character anymore. It’s too much for me.’ You should think of the word ‘depressed’ as ‘deep rest.’ Your body needs to be depressed. It needs deep rest from the character that you’ve been trying to play.” - Jim Carrey
“Be patient with yourself. Self-growth is tender; it’s holy ground. There’s no greater investment.” - Stephen Covey