#WMHD2022: Make “Mental Health and Wellbeing for All” as a Global Priority
#WMHD2022: Make “Mental Health and Wellbeing for All” as a Global Priority
October 10 2022 TalktoAngel 0 comments 96 Views
We all have experienced a feeling of anxiousness and nervousness over changes in our lives at work and in our personal life. For some, worry and constantly cause confusion, distract them from their routine and even cause agitation. For others, frequent instances of sadness, loneliness and frustration can be a daily struggle that interfere with the demands of work, family, and social obligations. Many times, these issues can lead to , , self-destructive behaviour or even suicide.
To address the present mental health challenges, governments, global institution, international development partners need to cooperate among themselves to fund effectively and create cost-effective solutions to manage mental health concerns. This initial investment will eventually lead to scaling up in productivity, happiness, stability as well as better well-being and health for everyone.
Mental Health Globally
Mental health issues create huge burdens across the globe. alone affects around 350 million people worldwide and is the main cause of disability in the world. In spite of the immense social burden, mental illnesses are still pushed into the shadows due to pre-attached stigma and prejudice because of which mental illnesses are often not reported as it should be. The real number of people suffering from mental illness around the world could be much greater than those that are reported in official figures. In addition, mental illness can also occur in conjunction; with several other ailments and could negatively affect the healing process. In global scenario, mental health problem is becoming more pressing in light of the forced migration and ongoing conflicts that are currently taking place in different regions around the world.
Make Mental Health Your Priority
Many of us feel exhausted, not just due to the pandemic and its psychological and physical side-effects, but also due to political uncertainty as well as a myriad of environmental issues, economic uncertainty that is causing worry in the minds of many. According to a survey (Harvard Business Review), more than half of Generation Zs as well as millennials have ranked mental wellbeing as their top or second most important priority in their lives. 48% Of Gen Zs and 44% of millennials have reported feeling stressed or anxious at all or the majority of the time, with a greater proportion being women and young parents.
Keeping such stats in mind, mental health isn't something to be taken lightly. Even if you're not a part of this generation, but you very well know how easily anxiety, stress and depression can spill over from everyday life into relationships, family environment and work life. It is crucial that everyone recognize and respect mental health issues that they, their loved one or any of the acquaintances face. It's equally essential to unite with one another and offer all the mental health assistance necessary to address hidden psychological issues. Keeping mental health as a priority it is essential for everyone to be aware of the steps that they can adopt to improve their mental health as well as the health of their loved ones and that of their community.
Here are some tips that will help you feel more confident about your mental health:
1.Take time for yourself: As an individual, we are entrusted with different duties and responsibilities in the context of our close relations such as family, social circle and work life. While doing so we forget to make time for ourselves. With this in mind, it is essential to establish boundaries and keep some dedicated time for yourself to recharge and rejuvenate. Going for walks with your pet, exercising, doing some quiet reading, or taking an excursion on your own can be quite beneficial. Sometimes, it's necessary to step away from your desk and having a break is fine. It's also a great way to get your head clear and improve the quality of your sleep. Set aside time for yourself in like you prioritize other areas of your daily life.
2. It’s okay to disconnect for a while: The "always on" culture gives us the feeling that we are required to be constantly thinking about what we're likely to take next. It's hard to be present in the moment when you're constantly bombarded with notifications, anxieties and other distractions. In these times it's important to switch off notifications, turn off from devices, and put the phones off. The practice of mindfulness exercises can aid you in staying present and be more at ease with the present and not worry about what might be happening tomorrow. It is also important to treat yourself with kindness.
3. Create courage and challenge the stigma: According to a research, 44 percent of millennials, and 38 percent from Gen Zs who had taken time off from work due to anxiety or stress said they didn't disclose the actual reason since discussing the mental health of employees is still considered to be a negative thing. Such issues require courage where you can take control of reducing the stigma by having honest discussions with your employers, family and friends about mental health issues that you are facing. You can connect with your loved one, friends, co-worker and take a break over coffee to discuss your concern. Being on the recipient side, one can acknowledge and respect such feeling without being judgemental. You can also connect with the best online counsellor and therapist at TalktoAngel to talk about your life’s circumstances and how it affecting you.
4. Create a strong social network offline: The value of having a network of confidants and well-wishers in family, at work or at school that share common interests or who are aware of your position and the issues that you face cannot be overemphasized. Find a friend whom you trust and can talk to authentically and openly about how you're feeling. If you don't have someone to talk to, you can try to expand your circle by joining a group or committee according to your interests, participating in social gatherings as well as engaging with friends or colleagues in conversations outside of your normal work routine. While it might take time to build relationships, having a close friend is essential for you to be able to be able to express your emotions. Creating a strong social connection lead to better life experiences, work productivity and improve overall health.
5. Online Counselling: provides alternative methods of addressing mental health problem at times when resources are limited. Online Counselling brings innovative ways to overcome present and persistent obstacles to access mental healthcare including transportation obstacles, stigma, availability of mental health professional and their high cost. When it comes to affordability, accessibility, convenience, comfortability, confidentiality, and therapeutic treatment, TalktoAngel is the best online counselling platform that connect you with the best psychologist in India and top online counsellor in India. The best therapists at the platform are able to assist in the creation and delivery of specific, relevant interventions. In general, ICT for mental health could play a crucial supporting role in specialized treatment and community-based mental health services. They can enhance and facilitate informal methods as well as self-care.
6. Employees Assistance Program: are of great value, the researches indicate that investment on this program is beneficial for employees, and company's in improving productivity. Apart from smoking cessation and obesity programs these programs typically are focused on managing stress, address workplace burnout, improve employee’s productivity and foster work-life balance among employees. Regarding the mental health of employees, interventions targeted at individual level could be focused on prevention or treatment for other mental health concerns. Program such as EAP can promote actions that focus on the prevention of mental illness and prompt intervention. This also incorporates the prevention of harm through cutting down on workplace risk as well as mental health awareness and the treatment of any existing mental health issues.
Leave a Comment: