Dementia is a common term used to describe loss in cognitive function (i.e., the capacity to process thought) often impacting memory, reasoning, direction, comprehension, computation, learning ability, language, and judgment of an individual. Changes in mood, emotional regulation, behaviour, or motivation are frequently present alongside the impairment in cognitive function.
Though there is no treatment available to cure dementia, adequate support caregiver, family members and regular consultation with online psychiatrist is beneficial for the health and well-being of the individual.
- Shift in thinking
- Memory loss, usually noticed by another person
- Having trouble speaking or coming up with the right words
- Visual and spatial difficulties
- Difficulty with complex activities or with thinking or problem-solving
- Difficulty with organizing and planning
- Difficulty with motor functions and coordination
- Psychological alterations
- Behavioral shifts
- Inappropriate conduct
- Agitation Hallucinations
- Infections and immune disorders.
- Metabolic problems and endocrine abnormalities
- Nutritional deficiencies.
- Medication side effects
- Subdural hematomas.
- Brain tumors.
- Normal-pressure hydrocephalus.
- Traumatic brain injuries brought on by traffic collisions, slips, falls, concussions, etc.
- Infections of the central nervous system.
- Long-time alcohol or drug use
- Various forms of hydrocephalus, a fluid buildup in the brain
- Age-related changes
Drugs to treat dementia
Inhibitors of cholinesterase
Occupational therapists are trained medical specialists who can teach you how to become more secure and safe while performing activities like walking, cooking, and driving.
Frequently Asked Questions
All Geriatric Therapy
- Other health issues
- Chronic Diseases
- Mental Health Issues
- Elder Care Type
- Difficulty in Aging
- Grief and Loss
- Elderly Abuse and Neglect
"I am not afraid of storms for I am learning how to sail my ship."
Louisa May Alcott
The ultimate test of a relationship is to disagree but to hold hands.
“Treat a man as he is and he will remain as he is. Treat a man as he can and should be and he will become as he can and should be.”
"To know when to go away and when to come closer is the key to any lasting relationship. "
Doménico Cieri Estrada
"The meeting of two personalities is like the contact of two chemical substances: if there is any reaction, both are transformed."
“Fear less, hope more, eat less, chew more, whine less, breathe more, talk less, say more, hate less, love more, and good things will be yours.”
"I’ve come to understand that listening is one of the most important things we can do for one another… if we care, we can listen."
"Stay away from people who make you feel like you are wasting their time."