Regular physical activity and exercise are known to assist elderly individuals manage or even prevent a range of health concerns. Exercise has a positive impact on heart disease, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, diabetes, osteoporosis, muscle weakness, some malignancies, depression, and stroke in seniors. More particularly, frequent exercise is advantageous for:
- Keeping a healthy weight while burning extra calories
- Increasing the proportion of good to bad cholesterol
- Increasing physical stamina
- Enhancing the heart's, lungs, circulatory system, bones, and muscles' health by supplying tissues with nourishment and oxygen
- Minimizing accidents and falls
- Mood and sleep quality improvement
Signs & Symptoms
Consequences of Sedentary Lifestyle in Elderly
- Decreased Mobility
- Decreased Flexibility
- Lack of Motivation
- Change in Appetite
- Getting Sick frequently
- Reduced Socialization
- Poor or Unsafe Environment
- Physical Disability
- Lack of safe and accessible facilities
- Hip or Knee Surgery
- Being Dependent on caregivers to take them out
- Lack of Social groups for elderly
- A minimum of 30 minutes of activity that raises the heart rate to roughly 75% of the maximum anticipated heart rate, performed three to five times per week, may constitute enough exercise for seniors. For instance, a 65-year-goal old's heart rate for exercise should be no more than 132 beats per minute.
- When beginning an exercise regimen, start at a lower goal heart rate, like 78 beats per minute, and gradually increase over the course of the first several weeks.
- These objectives can be fulfilled with simple, safe exercises like walking, swimming, and using exercise equipment.
Frequently Asked Questions
The elderly who have financial constraints can start walking. It is cost-effective and one of the most efficient ways to remain healthy.
All Geriatric Therapy
- Other health issues
- Chronic Diseases
- Mental Health Issues
- Elder Care Type
- Difficulty in Aging
- Grief and Loss
- Elderly Abuse and Neglect
The ultimate test of a relationship is to disagree but to hold hands.
“We can never obtain peace in the outer world until we make peace with ourselves.”
"I am not afraid of storms for I am learning how to sail my ship."
Louisa May Alcott
I’ve come to understand that listening is one of the most important things we can do for one another… if we care, we can listen
"The meeting of two personalities is like the contact of two chemical substances: if there is any reaction, both are transformed."
"To know when to go away and when to come closer is the key to any lasting relationship. "
Doménico Cieri Estrada
“If I wait for someone else to validate my existence, it will mean that I’m shortchanging myself.”
"If we would build on a sure foundation in friendship, we must love friends for their sake rather than for our own."